Saturday, October 9, 2010

Project 1: Front Door Curtains



Back in July, we replaced three windows, which led to replacing the curtains in the kitchen and dining room.  Amazingly enough, we quickly and easily found curtains that we both liked.  And, the best part?   Only $8 from Target.  With us, I was expecting that when we found curtains we could agree on, they'd be four times that much.

So, why is this a project from the depth of the craft room?  The curtains came in two lengths.  The longer panels worked great for the front window, the sliding door, and the kitchen window.  The only other windows in that area of the house are in the front door. 











But, the new curtains were a little too long...

So, here it is October and the two panels on the front door windows were still green, not red like the rest of the curtains.  And, the new panels?  Well, they were collecting dust on the kitchen table, which often doubles as my sewing table since there is no room to set up the sewing machine in the craft room.

Tonight, I decided to tackle the curtains.  After deciding that I wanted the new (red) curtains to be about an inch longer than the old curtains had been, I cut off 22.5" from the bottom of both red panels.  And then ironed a 1" hem (folded under of course to hide the raw edge).  After deciding that I was too lazy to change to the correct sewing foot, I changed the thread from black to red and sewed up the two hems.  The whole project took less than 45 minutes.  And yet, it had taken me almost four full months to finish.

One project finished.

Now comes the question:  what should I do with the two 22.5" pieces that I cut off from the bottom?  The thought briefly flashed through my mind:  "Walk to the garbage can and throw them out."  But, it was quickly replaced with:  Pillows!!!  We have a window bench that could use two red pillows, and I think there is just enough fabric leftover to make them.  

So, one project finished, but another one now to trip over.

And, then I had another thought.  They look great from the inside...but how do they look from the outside?

Yep, red curtains on green doors.  So, it now looks like we're decorating for Christmas in October.  Since the door no longer matches the outside trim, project number three just became:  Paint the front door.  Project number 3 may need to wait for spring.

So, one project finished, but now I have two more projects to do.

I think I'm beginning to realize what part of the problem is...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

The Turf Makes a Huge Difference

 I'm finally caught up on older posts.  I took this photo this morning, just after the front lawn had been put in.  I'm loving it.